Strategic Networking for the Job Seeker: Five Places to Network
As job seekers we tend to network with other job seekers. We crave community and sense of belonging. While this may yield leads in the job search, more often than not we are digging ourselves into a deeper sense of despair. To curb this feeling, here are five places where job seekers should be networking:
- The Employed: The first place you want to be is with people who are employed. The reason you want to be with them is to build relationships and create a network of people who know where the jobs are. You will also learn a lot about their employers just by listening to what they have to say. This is great information for you as you are building your targeted companies list.
- Business Owners: Consider opening your own business as so many laid off Americans are doing. Even if you think it’s not for you, learn from business owners. You may have a skill or interest they need in their business. Small business owners need newsletters, logos, marketing materials, websites, bookkeeping. They’re doing all the functions of a business and might welcome help from you!
- Toastmasters: Creating a sense of belonging in your life is tough when you lose the community of your workplace. Learning public speaking technique and leadership training are just two of the many things that can be learned as a Toastmaster.
- Coffee Talk: Business owners and traditional business people meet at coffee shops all day, any day. You never know who you might meet or what you might learn. Take your laptop to a local coffee shop and listen a bit while you’re networking on LinkedIn.
- Contract or Temporary Work: I know…you’re cringing at the thought of temporary or contract work. Stop cringing and keep reading! Companies are looking to get work completed and are not sure the market is ready for them to take on permanent employees. They also want to know the people they hire fit the culture. Hiring contract or temporary workers is a great way to get work completed and see if you’re a fit for their business. Take advantage of the opportunity!
Here’s to you finding the job of your dreams!
Jessica Pierce is Founder and President of Accelerated Team Dynamics, LLC (ATD) a company dedicated to getting employees placed in the right positions in the marketplace by coaching companies as well as candidates. She is also Executive Director of Career Connectors, a community outreach program dedicated to connecting Real People to Real Careers. She is a known speaker, trainer and career transition expert.
- Top Five Networking Tips for Job Seekers (jessica-pierce.com)
- SPECIFIC Tips for the Job Search (jessica-pierce.com)